birthday surprise june 28 2009
............
So
all last week I was super excited because I knew that Don had something planned
for my birthday! I got off work early and we left around 2:30. He
had even packed a cooler full of dr pepper for me!! I really don’t know New
York that great so I had no idea where we were going. Traffic was horrible and
we didn’t get out of the city until about 5:30 or 6. I started thinking we were
going to Long Island, but he was all like “no…didn’t you bring a book to read?”
of course I hadn’t so I read some story in one of his books.
.. ..
Then
it started raining and storming and I started seeing signs for the Hamptons!! I
was getting so excited but I didn’t want to say anything to ruin his
surprise. It was like 7 and we were starving and places to eat were
getting few and far between. Then we started worrying because we forgot
to get cash…and most places probably wouldn’t take credit. Luckily good
old Chase saved us and we got some money. I was starting to get tired and
cranky from lack of food and he told me we were going to Montauk! I was so
excited because one day I was looking at a map and mentioned I wanted to go
there because it was last place in New York and after that it’s just the
ocean!!! So we found a burger place and then went to our hotel…which was
only a small street from the ocean!!! We could hear the freaken Atlantic
from our room!!
.. ..
After
settling in I realized it was almost 11 which I thought was weird because I
remember it was like 8:30 when we were in the car last….more about this
later. The weather had gotten better and it was no longer raining so Don
suggested we go to beach. I was a little hesitant at first because it was
so dark and kinda cold but then I was like okay….and I was pumped!!! So we
walked over to the beach and he had a backpack with him which I really didn’t
see as weird because we had stuff like our phones and towels. When we got
there I noticed some people sitting around a bonfire and I said “wow, it would
be cool to have a fire!!” but he didn’t really say much and we kept
walking. Then he stopped and said “what would you say if we could have a
fire….?” Then he started pulling out supplies to make a fire from the backpack
and I was like oh my gosh!!!!!! I was completely surprised!! He had kept this a
secret from me and it was so freaken awesome! It was amazing to sit around the
fire and hear the waves and see a lightning storm that was going on far out on
the atlantic. At the end of the night we saw some kids trying to get a
fire started but failing repeatedly so we decided to ask them if they wanted
ours. It was still going good and we were ready to go back. They
were so excited and we didn’t have to deal with putting it out haha.
.. ..
The
next morning I woke up and looked at the clock and it said 7:16 which I thought
was weird because I have a phone alarm that goes off everyday at 7…I was wide
awake and decided to get on my laptop..the time said 6 am then I looked at my
phone and it also said 6. Then I realized we had been living an hour
ahead because the clock in the room was wrong!! Thanks a lot people hahaha, but
it is nice realizing you have more time.
.. ..
So
we got up and had breakfast at a diner. The weather was beautiful and by
9:30 we were on the beach because it was supposed to rain in the
afternoon. The beach was amazing!!!!! The water was cold but I just love
being there. Around 11 Don said he had a restaurant in mind that he
wanted to go to for lunch. So we got in the car and started driving.
Soon I saw a lighthouse and we pulled into parking lot of a park. As were
getting out of the car I’m like “where’s the restaurant?” He opened the trunk,
pulled out some charcoal and said “right here!” There was an area to have a
picnic…and there was only one other couple there. It was awesome!!!
Keep
in mind that he had brought along a cooler with us, which I thought only had dr
pepper and the entire time up until this point he was constantly saying “we
should get ice, we need more ice, let’s get more ice!” and I was like “why do
we need ice?! It’s only dr pepper it will stay cold forever in that cooler!”
Now I knew why because at the bottom of the cooler in a bag he had prepared
steaks and vegetables wrapped in foil and there were even Italian sausages!
Hahaha it was amazing! So as were cooking the fog was rolling in from the
ocean and you couldn’t even see the lighthouse that was right in front of
us!!!! Then all the sudden the fog was gone and the sky was so clear!!
The weather was beautiful!!! As we were eating though we had some crazy
seagulls always trying to get our food when we were not looking. They
were really terrorizing the other couple there though, one was trying to get in
their cooler to get out food haha!!! Seriously though, I had NO idea we
would be cooking out!!!!!
.. ..
After
eating we went up into the lighthouse and then we walked around this rocky
beach that is on the eastern most part of New York. So it’s really really
really ocean!!! The beach was also beautiful and the waves were big
crashing against the rocks. It was an awesome day…I don’t know where the rain
was because it was so nice and I got sunburnt haha.
.. ..
Then
we went back to the hotel and grilled out again for dinner because they had an
area to do that there. We decided to go back to the beach again that
night to make another fire. This night there were so many people there
making fires and hanging out!! It was awesome!! Once again at the
end of the night we gave our fire to someone else haha and we didn’t have to
mess with putting it out again.
.. ..
The
next day we had to check out of the hotel and we drove to a place called Star
Island. It was a very touristy area, with little shops and restaurants
every where. We saw the coast guard base there. We also watched
lots of boats coming and leaving since this was the area where all the boats
passed by the bay to get out to the atlantic. There were huge fishing
ships! We ate a restaurant and then decided to get on the road to go home, but
we also decided that if we saw anything cool we would stop.
.. ..
Our
first stop was a state park right on the ocean. The beach was really nice
but mostly it was just a huge camping area so we left. Then we wanted to
go to a nature conservation area that we saw on the map. Once we got there though
it was really just a beach area and you had to have a resident pass to park
there. We got ice cream and left. Then we saw a fruit/vegetable
market that said “pick your own strawberries”. So we stopped and got some
strawberries haha. The last place we stopped was a petting zoo. This
petting zoo was awesome! There were so many animals and they gave you a huge
bucket of food and a bottle of milk to feed the baby pigs. I had fun feeding
the animals and then I had an encounter with a llama. I was just feeding
some llamas when all the sudden a giant one ran up to me and I thought “man, he
must be hungry!” but when I tried to feed him he wouldn’t eat. Then all
the sudden he raised his head and spit everywhere! I started running haha
luckily none of that spit got on me!! It was hilarious!!!
.. ..
So
then we got back on the road to go home…we were in traffic for like 2
hours. And now I’m home….I didn’t want the weekend to end!!!! We had a
blast!!! I will upload pictures maybe tomorrow! And honey if you’re
reading this…..thank you so much for this awesome birthday surprise!!!! It was
really really really amazing!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment