Philippines 2010
Day 1
Travel: Saturday May 22:
Left
for O'hare at 4 am for our 7 am flight. The flight actually left on time. Got
to NYC JFK around 10:30 am. Found out
our flight to Tokyo-Narita had been delayed from 1 pm to 5 pm. Super bummed because this would push back
everything. We waited around JFK,
scrambling to make arrangements to have our flight reservations to Boracay
changed. Ended up leaving JFK's runway
around 6:30 pm.
We
didn't notice but our seats were split up on this flight. Luckily a woman opted
to go to an empty seat to let me sit by Don.
It was a 12 hour flight. I spent
it first of all getting a meal of chicken and potatoes. I almost got sick and couldn't eat hardly any
of it because of the turbulence. I spent
probably an hour with my head down trying to hold down whatever I did eat. The flight had a good deal of turbulence, at
one point I was really afraid. The plane
bumped around a lot and I got a huge bruise on my thigh from this.
Then I attempted watch Dear John. I got tired and took a
nap. After waking up I decided to finish
Dear John…which I thought was not a great movie. Each seat had a touch screen that we could
watch movies, listen to music or play games on.
I spent the next several hours playing trivia, sleeping, and watching
movies like Avatar that I had already seen so I could sleep to them. Then the flight attendants gave us snacks,
which consisted of an apple, bread, and a drink. After this we had about 5 more hours of
flight left. I started getting very
irritable. I wanted the flight to be
over! So I slept more. Then there was about an hour and half left
when we got served a breakfast of an omelet and fruit.
Day 2 Travel: Sunday May 23:
We landed in Tokyo around 9 pm Sunday. We missed our 7 pm flight to Manila so Delta
airlines booked us a hotel and put us on a flight for the morning. This was my first time having to go through
customs and all that craziness. It
wasn’t too bad. We took a shuttle bus to
the hotel, where we got a free meal.
Then we pretty much just went to bed so we could continue our flights in
the morning.
Day 3 Travel: Monday
May 24:
We got up around 6 and had breakfast at the hotel then took
the shuttle bus to the airport for our 9:30 am flight to Manila. Our flight was on time and it was around 4.5
hours long. I watched Shutter Island on
the plane. Kinda crazy. Then I watched
animal planet’s funniest animals. This
flight was really good, super smooth.
The only problem was that at this point I was done with flying and I
wanted off. We finally got to manila
around 1:45 pm. Here we thankfully got
our bag that we had checked in a day earlier.
Then we met up with Don’s dad. He
had our Boracay tickets and we had to catch that flight at 3:45 pm. He got a cab with us to take us to the
different terminal. Our flight to
Boracay was delayed of course…because we rushed, rushed, rushed to get there
fast and get through security. We were
told that our flight was having to be diverted to a different island so we
would have to take a shuttle bus and then a boat to Boracuy after the
flight. So our flight took around 5 pm
and we landed around 6. Then we got on
the shuttle bus, which was super crowded.
We actually had to sit on seats in the middle of the aisle that came
down from the sides of other seats. It
was super uncomfortable and super hot.
What we thought would be a 15-20 minute ride turned out to be an hour
and half. We got to the place with the
boat around 7:45 pm. Then we took the
boat over to Boracay. When we got there
we didn’t know where to go because no one came from our hotel to greet us. So we finally figured out we had to take a
“cab”, which was really a motorcycle with like a wagon thing hooked to the
side. They call them tricycles. It was a crazy, bumpy ride but cool. So we got to our hotel around 9 pm. We had some pizza since we hadn’t really at
all day then just watched a band play on the beach and then went to bed.
Day 4 Boracay: Tuesday May 25:
Woke up around 7:15 am and went to breakfast. Then we decided we were going to go
snorkeling. We found a guy that said he
could take us on a tour from 2 pm to 4 pm.
So in the meantime we found another guy that said he would take us. We went on a boat with 2 tour guides. They took us to an island called Crystal
Cove. Here we went to a cave, like a
lagoon and went snorkeling. It was
awesome, I saw a ton of crabs. Then we hiked along the island to a second
cave and snorkeled. Once we were done we
got back in the boat and the guides took us and anchored the boat and let us
snorkel. The current was very strong so
we had to hold onto a rope that was attached to the boat. I felt something sting my shoulder and I
didn’t think much of it but then I felt something sting my neck and found out I
had been stung by a jellyfish. I was so
worried, but all that happened was I got a small rash on my neck and chest. The sting was not too painful. We went to a different location and snorkeled
some more then we went back to the hotel.
Next we met up with the next tour guide, They had a boat that was painted like Nemo
and the bottom of the boat was clear so you could see the fish and corals. We saw a lot more fish on this tour and the
snorkeling was a lot better.
Once we got back Don told me to go shower and he would be up
to the room in a little bit. After I was done showering he told me to get
ready and to put on good walking shoes.
A guy was waiting for us down in the hotel lobby. He took us to a truck and we got in the
back. I didn’t really know what we were
in for. We ended up going to place where
you can go atv/ go-cart thingy tours. We
went up a mountain called Mount Luho. On
the way up the mountain we saw a lot of wildlife: chickens, dogs, pigs, and
monkeys!! Once we got to the top the views were amazing. Dante asked the guide if we could have a few
minutes alone and we stood there…and he was like “Andi, I want to ask you
something…” And my mind started
racing. He got down on one knee and
pulled a ring out of his pocket and asked if I would marry him. Of course I said yes! I was so happy, it was amazing. I was in shock…I couldn’t believe it was
happening. Afterwards we continued on
the tour…took tons of pictures and still felt like none of this was real. Once we got back to the hotel we ate at an
Indian restaurant and then came back to the hotel…exhausted. And I can’t believe we are engaged!
Day 5 Left Boracay: May 26
Had breakfast at the hotel around 8 am and then walked
around and did a little shopping. Then I
went swimming for a little bit at the pool and we laid out on the beach and
went in the water a little. Mostly we
were just waiting around for our bus to pick us up at 1 pm to go to the
airport. At 1 a guy in a little van/truck came to pick us up to go to the
port. At the port we got on a boat to go
to Catcilan to catch a fight to Manila.
This time we didn’t have a 2 hour bus ride! For some reason the plane was allowed to
leave from the closer airport.
When we arrived to Manila, Don’s dad and his friend Jackie
Chan (a retired cop) were there to pick us up.
They were excited to take us to Mall of Asia. It is the biggest mall in Asia. The mall was really cool because in the
middle it didn’t really have a roof top, it was pretty open. There was a fashion show going on. The mall had an ice skating rink and a beach
like area with restaurants. Kind of like
a board walk.
Jackie pointed out a woman that was really a man and then
started trying to point out the gays. It
was kind of an ongoing joke.
Then we went to Don’s dad’s apartment and will be staying
here for the next few days.
Day 6 Manila/Quezon City May 27:
Today we woke up and had Mcdonald’s for breakfast. Showered and learned that there has been a
drought in the Philippines for the past 6 months, so from 2 pm-8pm the water is
turned off. Don’s dad keeps a bucket of
water in case we need to wash in between those times. So it’s important when you’re showering to
try to conserve water by turning it off when you’re lathering up.
Then we went to a mall in Manila to meet with Don’s Aunt,
Tita Nitz. She had to have us bring our
ID to make some corrections on the airline tickets for our resort we are flying
to next week. First, while we were
waiting we had a drink at Gloria Jeans hahaha!
Then we went to an internet café so I could email my family and Don
could check some work stuff.
After we got the stuff done with the airline we had lunch
and then got a cab to go to some tourist attractions. We went to Fort Santiago. It was very cool. I took lots of pictures. We went to a museum about Jose Rizal, he was
a writer who wanted the best for his country and ended up being executed.
Then we walked to a park, saw a lot of people that were
begging. One beggar came up to us, he
was really dirty and asking for money.
He wouldn’t leave and a cop came over and hit him over the head with his
hat. I was kind of shocked by this. It’s really different here. There are tons of stray animals (dogs and
cats) and roosters crowing. There’s a
lot of poverty. I feel bad.
We went to an aquarium after the park. It was pretty cool because we recognized some
of the fish we saw snorkeling. Then we
at a place called Max’s Restaurant.
Don’s dad really likes the place.
We had fried chicken and chop suey.
The driving here is crazy.
Some places there are no lines to distinguish between lanes and when
there are lines they don’t matter. There
are tons of motorcycles. It is scary to
be in a cab! We were almost hit several
times. At most intersections there are
no stop signs or traffic lights so people have kinda just formed their own way
of knowing when to go and usually that means just pushing your car out into the
middle and making people stop for you.
It is way worse than anything I’ve ever seen. I don’t even think I could do it! I drove in NYC for 2 years and that is
NOTHING compared to this. People will
just walk out in front of the cars…like 4 lanes of traffic and just start
walking. It isn’t like this is a small
city or town. This is a city like I
think with more population than Chicago.
I will look it up later…and no stop lights. No traffic rules really at all. Just drive.
Day 7 Manila May 28:
Today we woke up around 6 and had breakfast. We laid around for awhile. We thought we would be picked up today to be
taken to Los Banos, where Don’s mom is.
There was no one available to pick us up today though so we will spend
one more night with Don’s dad.
First we started watching a bootleg version of the Clash of
the Titans. I was tired so I took a nap
instead. Then we decided to go to the
mall to the internet café. Once we got
to the mall we decided to see a movie since we had all day. We saw Prince of Persia. It’s different here because you actually pick
seats before the movie. So it’s like
reserved seating. People were dressed up
like the characters from the movie and I took a picture with them.
We did some shopping of course. Shopping is weird here because at just about
every section there is a salesperson there, watching your every move and trying
to sell to you. It’s kind of
annoying.
After the mall we just went home and chilled out. Ended up taking a nap and it rained really hard. First rain in a long time. Then we had McDonald’s. Then Don’s dad put in a DVD that has copies
of a bunch of Bruce Willis movies on it.
We started watching 16 Blocks. I
got tired of it, since I’ve seen it and decided to write this…
Day 8 Saturday May 29:
Woke up a little later around 8. Layed in bed and finished my book. Then had McDonald’s for breakfast. Don’s Aunt and Uncle came to pick us up
around 11 and we went to the Peninsula Hotel to visit some family. Then we went out to eat. After eating I starting feeling a little
sick.
We checked into our hotel and while most everyone went
shopping we stayed in. We went across
the street to the mall Greenbelt and walked around. Went to a museum and learned about Philippine
history. Then we ate at Wendy’s because
I wanted something American. It wasn’t
that great, and then I got the craps.
At 9:30 I was so exhausted but all the cousins wanted to go
out. We went to a couple bars. Reagan, Robbie, RJ, Justin (Liz his wife),
Mariel, Francis were who we went out with. Ended up doing some shots and having
beer. Came home and pretty much passed
out. We slept til about 1 pm! We both woke up with diarrhea and I have a
headache and my throat feels funny.
Hopefully tomorrow we feel better.
We went out to eat at Chili’s because we woke up late and
didn’t want to go shopping with the others.
Then we came back to the hotel and decided to try out a zoo. The zoo wasn’t very clean and smelled like
poop and made us feel sicker. So now we
are in the hotel, don’t know what to do next.
Day 9 Monday May 31, 2010
Today woke up with a really bad side ache and
constipation. I don’t know what’s worse
being able to poo or the pain from not being able to poo. Anyway, the side ache had me really worried it
could be appendicitis…but I haven’t really had any other symptoms and I still
have a pretty big appetite. Right now my
side is kinda sore but not as much. It's probably something we ate or drink because Don is feeling a little sick too.
Don's mom and I went out to get
food and medicine and then came back and Jonathon was here. We wanted to go out and do something but
didn’t know what. Jonathon convinced us
to go to a spa. I’ve never done anything
like that. We got full body
massages. It was kinda weird for me at
first but then it was good. I think I
want to get a foot massage next.
Then Jonathon, Don and I ate a Filipino restaurant. Then we came back to the hotel. We are invited to go out to karaoke but I don’t
know if were up for it. I just feel so
out of it. I hope things get better for
the resort tomorrow. I don’t know how
much more of this I can take.
Day 10 Tuesday June 1
Woke up today around 8 and had breakfast. We had to leave the hotel around 10 to get to
the airport to catch a flight to Ilocos.
It is in the northern part of the Philippines.
We are feeling better today.
Still not much of an appetite, but at least my side is not hurting.
We made it to our new hotel around 3. This place is very rural. The hotel is very minimum…I mean not the most
I’ve stayed at I guess. We still have
some cable and supposedly some wireless internet out in the garden area where people
can sit. We have a pool. Most of Don’s family is staying here so we have
most of the place.
When we arrived we settled in for about 20 minutes then it
was back in the vans to go eat. It was a
“snack”, more like a meal. We had
empanadas, which had bean sprouts, pork, and an egg in it. Seriously it was great, best food since I’ve
been here. Then we had a soup, which was
kinda like ramen. Then we got back in
the van to go to Tito Rome’s house to have a little birthday celebration for
him. It was cool. The guys there used to be in a singing group
in school together so they sang songs all night with a guitar.
We walked around a little bit to see a very old church. When we were there a group of girls asked me
to take a picture…at first I thought they wanted me to take their picture but
they just wanted a picture with me…I guess they don’t see Americans a lot. I don’t know…kinda weird for me. After eating and hanging out we came back to
the hotel and now the boys are playing poker and I’m relaxing in the room. It’s nice to have some privacy!
Day 11 Wednesday June 2
Today we woke up and had breakfast..rice, egg, and
bacon. Every meal has rice. It was raining so we were not sure if we
should go to the beach. By the time
breakfast was over though it had stopped and people decided we should go to the
beach. So we all piled in the 2 vans and rode about an hour to the beach. It was like a public beach behind a resort
and the resort was awesome. It had an
awesome pool with a view of the sea. We
looked at the rooms and decided we will stay there tomorrow night instead of
this other hotel we are in. So we can
check in tomorrow at 2.
But anyway we paid to swim in their pool today and then we
also swam in the beach. The beach water
was soooo warm. I’ve never felt water
that warm before. The beach was okay…not
as nice as Boracay but good. It had a
lot of little hut like things you can sit under for a picnic. We swam for about 2 hours then it started
raining.
I guess some people had went to get some food and wanted to
eat it at the beach but it was raining so hard so we all got in the vans and
went to Tita Nitz’s house. After eating
we just came back to our hotel and showered and relaxed for a bit. Then we decided we wanted to go walk around
and take pictures…but somehow that turned into EVERYONE wanting to come…first
it was just going to be like me and Don’s cousins…so it was kinda
annoying. So we decided to just walk
around and we got empanadas. By this
time one of the vans came up to us and said it was just the people we
originally planned to go with so we got in the van and went to Laong City. We walked around and took pictures.
After a little sight seeing we went back to the hotel and
had dinner because Don’s mom invited some of her old classmates for
dinner. After dinner we just went to
bed.
Day 12 Thursday June 3, 2010
Today we woke up and had breakfast then came back to the
room because it was raining and we really didn’t know the plans. We packed our stuff to go to the new hotel
and good thing we did because soon a hotel worker came and said he was there so
we could check out. He wanted to take
our bags to the van. So we went out to
the van and got in. We went to Don’s
grandfather’s place where he grew up called Pigdig…I think that’s how you spell
it. Basically just drove around and he
got to see some old neighbors and family.
Then we took pictures of a church.
Mostly just drove around all morning.
Then went to a restaurant for lunch.
Luckily this restaurant had some normal foods haha. I’m just getting kinda tired of Filipino
food. So I ordered a grilled cheese and
fries…except they said the grilled cheese will just be a cheese sandwich, not
grilled. Carol, from Australia also got
this. The sandwich turned out to be not
so great…it had mayo on it and some cheese like velveeta. The fries were okay though. I also ate some of the other stuff they
ordered I just wanted some comfort food haha.
I’ve pretty much noticed though, here, any food I would
normally eat in the US is never cooked the way you would expect it. It always ends up having some weird sauce on
it or just not tasting right at all haha.
I like Filipino dishes but I miss the food I always have haha. And I miss my Dr. Pepper, there is none here.
After lunch the sun came out! We started to head towards the new
resort. As soon as we got here we
swam. I had some Pineapple juice with
Vodka. We were in the pool all
afternoon. It was great. Then we came back to our room to get cleaned
up for dinner.
Some people wanted to go out for dinner but some people
didn’t. No one could agree really and I
didn’t see why we couldn’t just eat at the hotel. So Don, Jonathon, Reagon and I decided to
stay here. We ordered food from the
hotel restaurant and were able to eat it in one of the little huts. Surrounding the huts is a pond with fish in
it and when we were done eating we starting throwing rice at the fish. They were eating it like crazy. There were tons of fish at the surface
waiting for food. We fed them pretty
much all the food we didn’t eat. Rice,
bread and meats hahaha. These fish were
going crazy.
After dinner we decided to swim again so we came back to our
room to change. Our power in our room
would not work, nothing would work so we had to switch rooms. Then we went to swim with Jonathon, Jonas,
and Eunice. Reagon found a crab by the
side of the pool and it grabbed onto his flip flops and he brought it over to
show us. When he sat the flip flop down
the crab got off and just ran into the pool.
Jonathon was the closest to it.
We got kinda freaked out cause now there’s a crab in the pool. So we got goggles and started hunting it to
get it out. It took a long time but
finally we got it cornered and used part of folding chair to lift it out. It was also pouring down raining when we did
this. When we flipped the crab out of
the water Jonas saw where it went but then seconds later we couldn’t find it.
So who knows where it went. Hopefully
it’s ok.
Since it was pouring we were getting kinda cold so we came
back to the room and changed. Then Don
decided to go play poker with his cousins.
Hopefully he doesn’t lose.
No comments:
Post a Comment