Monday September 19 2011
Today I woke up and ate some more catering left overs. Then we left for Ohare around 9 am. We
checked in and talked to the parents about how great the wedding was. Our flight was on time to Montreal. The plane was so freaken small to Montreal
that our carry ons wouldn’t fit above our seats! I made “friends” from an old couple from
nearby Lake Geneva. They were going to
Rome. When we arrived in Montreal we had
a snack and used their free wi-fi. Why
does Canada have all this free stuff?!
Our flight to Athens was also on time!
It left around 3 pm and was an overnight flight. We noticed when they were boarding basically
no one was getting up to get on the plane.
The flight was freaken empty! It
was awesome. We could lay down in the
middle row and sleep. We had a dinner,
it wasn’t very good. So then I laid down
and watched the movie that was on, Unknown.
I fell asleep towards the end and woke up and the new Yogi Bear movie
was on. I watched some of it but was so tired and fell asleep again and woke up
to something about electronics on. This
was boring and I fell asleep again and woke up and No Strings Attached was on
but it was towards the end. So I fell asleep again and was woken up by a huge
bump. I sat straight up and was kind of
freaken out. It was bumpy and I started
feeling queasy. The rest of the ride
sucked and they fed us some breakfast but I couldn’t really eat. And it was bumpy. I was so happy to be on land in Athens. I was also surprised to see how desert-like
Athens looked near the airport.
Tuesday September 20 2011
We arrived at the Athens airport at 1020 am. We found our tour guide with the Gate 1 sign
and she gave us instructions about our next flight to Santorini. Our flight to Santorini wasn’t until 3 pm so
we had a lot of time. It was so
boring. I was also getting so
cranky. I was tired of traveling and I
wanted a shower. We got a sandwich and
shared it and waited until we could go to the gate.
We finally went to our gate around 2 and our flight was
delayed by a half hour. It was
horrible. I was so tired. We were sleeping in the chairs. We used the internet. They had free internet for one hour in the
airport. So not as good as Canada….but
hey at least you got some free time. We
finally got on the plane and we sat on the plane without moving for a long
while. When we took off we both fell
asleep. We arrived in Santorini around
445 pm.
We took a bus to our hotel and got our travel documents for
Santorini. It had a map and a list of
excursions we could do and other things we could do on our own. We decided on of the excursions we wanted to
do was snorkeling. Once we got checked
in we showered. The shower felt so good after all the traveling. Then we left the hotel to find food. We saw a little field with 2 goats and an old
woman just sitting there. The walk to
the beach and main street from our hotel was about 5 minutes. The beach was
black rock and pebbles instead of sand.
I think this is because Santorini is a volcano. We walked around trying to find a place to
eat and there were so many choices. We
decided on a place that had a bunch of cats hanging around at it. The cats were cute. Our first meal in Greece was a mixed grill
for two that included potatoes, pork on a stick, meatballs, sausage, chicken
and lamb. It was soooo good. We walked
around more after dinner to pick up some water since we can only drink bottled
water. On the walk back to the hotel we
took a different way and ended up getting lost.
We had to ask another hotel how to get to ours. Luckily we were not too far away and we made
it back. Tired and went to bed.
Wednesday September 21 2011
I slept really good last night, probably from all the
traveling. I woke up at 350 am and
thought it should be 7 am already. I
tried falling back asleep, but I don’t know how well that went. Later I woke up to all kinds of birds and a
rooster. I opened the balcony doors to
find a cat wandering below our room and the sun rising over the sea. We decided to eat at an English bar for
breakfast instead of the complimentary breakfast. It was good. Then we came back for a meeting
with costa, one of the tour guides.
After the meeting we took at taxi to the port for the volcano
cruise. We walked up the volcano; it was
very cool but tiring. On the way down I
rolled my ankle, it was bad but kept going.
It will probably hurt tomorrow.
After the volcano we got back on the boat and went over to
the hot springs. The hot springs are not
very hot just warmer water created by the amounts of sulfur in the water from
the volcano. The boat anchored and we
had to do about a 5 minute swim to get to the hot springs. When I got back in the boat there were a lot
of waves and I started to feel sick. It
was bad.
We stopped at the island of Therassia and I was feeling
pretty bad. I got a coke at the first
restaurant we were shuffled into. After
looking at the menu and seeing some of the other restaurants we left to go to a
different one. The coke made me feel
better. We ate at the last restaurant on
the waterfront. It had a cat and we saw
an octopus in the water.
Once we got back on the boat to go to Oia, we sat in the top
back. I had a fear I was going to get
sick so I balled up a plastic bag in my fist.
I didn’t get sick luckily and it wasn’t that bad of ride. We got off at Oia, the famous part of
Santorini with all the white buildings, it was awesome and beautiful. It was probably the most beautiful place I’ve
ever seen. The only way to get to the
city from the port is to walk up the stairs or take a donkey. We decided to take a donkey. It was crazy!
When I got on the donkey I thought it would be a nice leisurely ride and
I could take pictures, NO! When I first
got on the donkey charged up the stairs.
It was very fast and rough, but awesome.
I had to hang on tight. My donkey
would go between two other donkeys or get up close to the wall; I scraped my
leg on the wall. Once we got to the top
we took a lot of pictures. We walked
around the city and looked for a restaurant to watch the sunset. The sunsets in Santorini are very
famous. We found a restaurant and we saw
people staying at our hotel. We watched
the sunset, had some drinks and had some food.
The sunset was very pretty, except clouds were on the horizon so we
didn’t get the full effect.
After dinner I got cold.
We walked around a little bit more then decided to take a cab to the
capital city of Fira. We split a cab
with another couple who was staying in Fira.
They were from Minnesota. When we
got to Fira I bought a sweatshirt. We
also stopped at an internet café to check in with our parents. From Fira we took the bus home to Kamari. We were both falling asleep and I was just
lucky enough to hear the bus driver say Kamari.
I shot up and said “we’re here!”
Thursday September 22 2011
I slept good last night.
We slept with the balcony open and apparently it started thundering and
storming so Don got up and shut it. I
never heard any of this happen. We got
up around 730 am so we could go on our snorkeling trip. First we went to breakfast at the hotel. It was not so good but it was free. I was getting a little worried because it was
very cool outside and it looked like rain.
I couldn’t imagine getting in the water but we went for it anyway. A person from the dive shop came and picked
us up around 9 am. On the way she asked
us if we wanted to try diving instead of snorkeling. I’ve always wanted to do diving but I have
never done it so the thought of doing it today made me a little scared. After thinking a little bit we decided just
to do it.
It was 85 euros a piece.
I was feeling really nervous but excited also. When we got to the dive shop we filled out
the paperwork, paid and got our wetsuits, boots, and flippers. Then we got in a van and drove to the
port. The port was a lot smaller than
the main one on Santorini. The boat was
a small speedboat and it was freaking rough.
I was bouncing up and down. We
got out to the first dive spot and the experienced divers went out. We stayed on the boat with our
instructor. He gave us a brief talk
about diving. I couldn’t really focus on
it because the boat was rocking and I was feeling very seasick and nervous. Finally we got up and Don got in first. We went to the back of the boat and put
weights on our waist, our flippers on, mask on and then the instructor helped
us put the tank on. Once the tank was on
he hoisted us up and we stepped off the boat.
The first time I was in the water with all this gear on it
was very awkward and I felt panicked. I
felt like I couldn’t control my body very well because it kept pushing my body
up. We went underwater for a little bit
just to see what it was like. Then Don
went with one instructor and I went with the other one, Costca. He was very easy to work with. We followed the chain from the boat anchor
down. My ears hurt a little from the
pressure but not that much. The first
dive was awesome. We saw a few fish and
saw the drop off. It was pretty
amazing.
When we got back on the boat we had some water and a little
croissant thing. I couldn’t really
eat. I didn’t feel that sick anymore but
I just couldn’t eat. So we boated to the
next dive spot. It was by the island of
Therassia, where we ate the day before.
When I first got in the water I felt a little better about it. I felt I could control my body a little
easier. Then we started to go down. This time I didn’t go with Costca; I went
with the other instructor. We started to
go down and my ears hurt bad. It was
really giving my problems. So we would
go back up a little, but I felt like he wouldn’t listen to me. It was really hurting and he told me maybe I
was focusing on trying to regulate them too much. This was probably true. They started to feel a little better, in my
mind I was like maybe they are just feeling better because they have
burst! We went down and I saw a black
sponge and a few fish. Then my goggles
started giving me problems. At first I
tried to ignore it but then they came off.
I started panicking. My
instructor brought me up and I was done.
That was okay because it was the end of the dive anyway.
I want to try diving again but with gear that fits me well
and lessons. The first dive was amazing,
second one not so much but I want to do it again. When we got back to the dive shop we took
pictures with the crew and exchanged some names for Facebook. It was a really cool experience. Costca gave us a ride back to the hotel.
Once we got back we showered and got ready for dinner. It was early but we didn’t have lunch. We had some pizza, it was really good! We watched some dogs while at the
restaurant. One of them was really
territorial and wouldn’t let one of other ones into its area. But one of the other ones was okay to go in
its area. It was entertaining. After dinner we went down to the beach and
laid for a little bit. It got chilly so
we walked back. Then it rained a little. The rest of the night we just chilled,
packed, and got ready to leave for Mykonos in the morning.
September 23 2011
We woke up this morning and had breakfast at the hotel. We made sure we were all packed then we
waited for the bus to come to take us to the port. The bus came and went to several different
hotels and drove us to the port. The
drive was crazy because the port is at the bottom of the island so we had to
drive down a cliff. We had a snack of
Greek fries and a coke before getting on the ferry. The ferry to Mykonos would be about 3
hours. We left around 1230 and Don and I
were separated. We were in the same row
but there was a giant space between us.
I made friends with a couple I sat with, Michelle and Stephen. They were from NY. They were traveling with some friends. They were pretty cool. The first half hour of the ferry was fine but
then the waves got huge and the boat was just rocking. It felt like sometimes the ferry would flip
over. One of the workers started passing
out extra puke bags. Tons of people were
puking and the waves were just constant.
I was feeling horribly sick, but I wasn’t alone Michelle was also. We didn’t puke but it was completely
horrible.
When we finally got off around 4 our tour guide took us to
the bus to take us to our hotel. Then he
told us he would be at our hotel around 450 to talk to us. When we got to our hotel there were only
stairs leading up to it. We were with a
bunch of old people so they were not very happy about this. We got to our room; it was room 42. The hotel was very nice. We walked around the hotel grounds and it was
very pretty. Better than the one in
Santorini.
We met with the tour guide to talk about Mykonos. Then we went to walk around Mykonos
City. We decided to upgrade our 5 hour
ferry ride to Athens to a flight. I just
couldn’t do the ferry again. Plus the
flight would leave at 11, and the ferry wouldn’t leave until 2 pm and take 5
hours, so we would have a little more time in Athens. Don liked the idea of the flight also. So now we have a 40 minute flight to Athens
so hopefully all goes well.
We had dinner at a place on the water and watched the
sunset. The sunset was absolutely
beautiful. Then we just walked around
and took a lot of pictures. Mykonos is
very pretty. I was still feeling dizzy
all night from the boat. We came back to
the hotel around 9. We got some water
and watched a little TV, since the TV in our last hotel didn’t work.
September 24 2011
Our alarm didn’t go off this morning. We wanted it set for 7 am, because we wanted
to go to the bank and get more euros.
Then we had a 9 am pick up for a car rental. Maybe the reason the alarm failed to go off
was because there were power outages all over the island. So we had no power and also no shower. The power luckily came back on soon and I was
able to take a shower, while Don went to the bank.
He came back with no euros though because the front desk
failed to tell us banks are not open on Saturday. So after breakfast we walked
to a place to get some euros. Then we
got a call at 9 am from the car rental place.
The guy was out front and ready to take us to get our car. We rented a smartcar. It was kind of purple and Don drove it
first.
We wanted the car so we could go beach hopping. We went to
Psarou Beach first. There were people
every where as Don tried to park the car on a hill. It was challenging because the hill was so
steep and the car had such a weird brake/accelerator system. Finally we walked down to the beach and the
beach had a bunch of nice chairs and tables.
The beachfront had a bunch of restaurants on it also. Even though it was busy, it was pretty
quiet. We had to have lunch from the
restaurant to sit at the chairs or pay 10 euros for 2 people. We figured we would just have lunch since we
needed to eat. We ordered a cheeseburger
and pizza. The pizza was very good.
When we first got in the water it was cold, but then it felt
good. The water was so clear and the
salt in it made it sparkle. Don wanted
to snorkel so we got our snorkels, good thing because it was awesome. On the side there were rocks with tons of
fish and sea life. Fish were surrounding
us. It was so cool. I think it was my favorite beach of the
day.
Next we drove to Kalafatis Beach. It was much quieter; people were mostly
sleeping. There were a few restaurants
on the side but we didn’t go there. We
wanted to snorkel. There were big rocks
with tons of sea life. I think this was
Don’s favorite beach. It was fun to just
ride the waves and see the fish doing the same.
Next we went to Kalo Livadi.
We thought we would snorkel again but the beach was sandy with no sea
life really. We saw a few fish
following us around but mostly it was a beach to have a good time. We mostly
just laid out and tried to get dry. The
sun felt so good.
After this beach I tried driving the car. The car was very rough shifting, probably
because it had the option to be a manual and it was also very hilly. Going uphill felt like you were just going to
fall back down it. But after awhile the
driving was okay. I did fine. Don was the navigator. We decided to stop at one more beach,
Lia. It was surrounded by rocks, kind of
like a mountain. We saw some people
hiking. There were hardly any people at
this beach. We just walked around, but
didn’t get in the water. We took some
pictures with some random dog. It was very
quiet there. There was a restaurant that
seemed kind of weird but relaxing.
Then we took the car back to the rental place. My first time
driving in a foreign country was not too bad.
Driving in Greece was crazy though!
There were bike, atvs, people and other cars all on these tiny winding
hilly streets. After we returned the
cars we got a ride back to the hotel and took showers. Then we went out and had some gyros at a little
place not far from the hotel.
After eating we did some more exploring. We found a little desert café place. We had a chocolate cake thing with ice
cream. It was probably the best desert
I’ve ever had. The people running the
place were so nice also. We got back to
the hotel pretty early, but we were tired.
September 25 2011
Today we woke up around 730 and got ready. We had breakfast at the hotel. The bus came and picked us up at 9 for the
Delos tour. From the hotel we went to
the port and we had to walk all the way to the other side to get on the
boat. We talked to a few people we had
seen before like Michelle and Steve. We
also made friends with an old couple that had been at our hotel. They were from
North Carolina.
On the boat to Delos we talked to a woman about getting
seasick and traveling. Delos is an island
that has ancient ruins from about 5000 bc. There was running water and toilets,
even a sewage system. It’s an active
archaeological site and it was pretty cool.
The water surrounding the island was pretty, so blue. The tour was guided and lasted about an hour
and a half. It was very
informative. We saw the remains of an
old house and a huge house with marble.
There was also a theater and the birthplace of Apollo.
After the tour we had a snack at the café and then headed
back to the boat. The boat brought us
back at 130. It made us so tired. We got back and ate at a little restaurant
and then walked back to the hotel. We
followed the coastline so we could see the windmills. When we got back to the hotel we jumped in
the pool and laid out. We slept, relaxed
and read.
September 26 2011
We woke up around 8 today and got packed to go to
Athens. While I was packing and Don was
in the shower I heard a strange noise. The little orange cat had gotten through
our patio door and was hanging out in the hotel room. I loved this cat! He was so cute. We played with the cat for a
little while and then went to breakfast.
The bus picked us up around 10 to go to the airport for our
flight to Athens. The flight was very
short, maybe 30 minutes. It was totally
worth upgrading to the flight instead of doing the 5 hour ferry ride.
When we arrived in Athens our guide found us and took us to
a bus. On the 45 minute bus ride to the
hotel she went over things. We checked
in and looked around the hotel and then decided to venture down to the
plaza. We were told to take a taxi since
the public transportation was on strike, but Don thought we could walk it. He was right; it was no more of a walk from
our apartment in Lakeview to Downtown.
We went to a restaurant close to the hotel because I was starving. It was pretty good. Then we walked and saw some sites. But we mainly saw shops. We had a beer at one of the restaurants and
then walked back to the hotel. It was a
good walk. But really Athens is just a
city. It is unique though with all of its ruins.
We got back to the hotel and had dinner on the rooftop. I wanted to eat outside but it was so windy
so we moved indoors. It was really cool
because the Acropolis was lit up so after dinner we took a few pictures of it
while having a drink
September 27 2011
Today we woke up at 645 so we could be ready to be picked up
at 8 for our Athens sightseeing excursion.
The bus drove us by many of the sites and then we got out at the new
acropolis museum-woke up at 645 so we could be ready to be picked up at 8 for
our Athens sightseeing excursion. We had
a guided tour through the museum and then we were free to roam for awhile until
we walked up to the acropolis.
The walk to the acropolis was pretty amazing. The sights
were so beautiful and a little scary because the marble was slick! We took a lot of pictures. And then came down for lunch in the plaka. The plaka was the first place where we had
people begging us for money. Mostly
children begging. At the restaurant
where we ate children would come up to you and play music for money, but the
restaurant staff kept kicking them out.
It was sad. The meal that I had
here though was one of my favorites in Greece, stewed meatballs and rice.
We had the rest of the day to do whatever so we decided to
take the tram and go to the coast. It
was hard for us to figure out how to pay for the tram but I guess we did it
right! We rode to the end but there
wasn’t really anything there so we got back on and got off at a marina. The marina was beautiful and had a nice
little mall. We left the marina and
walked the coast for a bit. We saw
people fishing, swimming and snorkeling.
It made me want to snorkel! Then
we took the train back to the plaka right in front of the parliament
building. There was a protest happening
here and it was cool to see. There were
tons of police and riot police. Luckily
it wasn’t violent.
Then we walked back to the hotel and started packing. Around 830 we saw a sign saying there would
be a strike for cabs and all public transportation the next day. We were a little worried this would interfere
with our ride to the airport. Luckily
there was a Gate 1 representative at the front desk and she told us not to
worry they would send a private bus to pick us up.
We went to a little place and got some gyros and beer to
bring back to the hotel for our last night in Greece. It was the best gyro I’ve ever had; even
though I’ve only had a few…it was amazing!
It was hard to believe our honeymoon was ending, it was amazing. I never dreamed I would go to Greece for my
honeymoon. It was the best
experience. After eating we went to
sleep to await our 230 wake up call to go to the airport.
No comments:
Post a Comment