Best Week Ever
Saturday September 10 2011
Today was one week before the
wedding. I was starting to feel a little
nervous about the wedding, but more nervous about everyone from out of town
getting here on time and safely. We were
getting ready to pick up Don’s dad, Danny, from Ohare when I noticed a crazy
rash on Don’s arm. He said it was really
itchy. It looked horrible, but I didn’t
think too much of it.
So we went out to the suburbs
by Ohare to do some last minute shopping for the wedding and to buy Lina a new
litter box. I was so excited to put
Lina’s litterbox in the closet instead of in the bathroom….and she liked it too
I think.
So we went to Ohare and
failed to check the status of his dad’s flight.
So we spent a couple of hours waiting for him because it was
delayed. We passed the time by talking
about the 9/11 ten year anniversary, which was a little awkward being in an
airport. As we were at the airport the
rash on Don’s arm was getting worse.
Once we picked up Danny we
drove him by Wrigley Field and then we just came back to the apartment to
chill.
Sunday September 11 2011
Don’s dad slept in until about 10 am, I think he was
jetlagged. Don and I watched some of the
9/11 memorial on tv. It was so sad. Once Danny woke up we walked to the lake to
show him where the tennis courts were.
The weather was so nice and he enjoyed seeing the lake. On the walk home we ate at the Grove
Restaurant on Diversey. Then we got in
the car and drove to Men’s Wearhouse to make sure all Don’s and Danny’s
measurements were correct. After that we
went and saw the movie Contagion.
Monday September 12 2011
Today I woke up and had to go to work. On the way to work I stopped by Panera and
sat outside to eat a bagel. While we
were both at work Danny walked around the neighborhood and shopped.
Tuesday September 13 2011
Today was our last day of work before the wedding and
honeymoon. I finished packing everything
up for the wedding weekend. Don made a
good dinner of chicken. We are excited.
Wednesday September 14 2011
Today we woke up and went to pick up Miguel at Ohare. We stopped by a party store to get some last
minute things for the reception. Then we
ate at a diner. Then we came back to
the apartment to pick up Don’s dad. We
went to Men’s Wearhouse again to pick up Miguel’s tux. Then we found an indoor tennis court for
Miguel and Danny to play at. Don’s dad
loves tennis and was very excited to play with Miguel because he’s a tennis
instructor in Long Island. While we
watched them play tennis I felt nervous and upset about the weather. The
weather had turned so cold and rainy and gross.
Later in the evening, Don, Miguel and I went to Dukes of Perth for some
drinks and we played some Zombie Flux and a game called Fingers. Afterwards we came home and watched Deadliest
Warrior: Zombies vs. Vampires. It was
disappointing but entertaining enough.
We were all pretty tired.
Thursday September 15 2011
This morning I woke up eary, got Lina packed up and headed
to Paxton. It was absolutely freezing
out for September….my worries about the wedding weather have increased. Don stayed behind in Chicago to pick up more
of his groomsmen. I arrived in Paxton
about 9:30 am. My mom and I worked on
packing things up for the reception and organizing as much as we could. Around 1130 my dad came home and we all went
up to the pool hall for lunch. The special
was chicken fried steak so I was happy.
After lunch my mom and went to Wal-mart to pick up some last minute
things. Then I spent the afternoon
sending emails and replying to wedding vendors.
Around 5 pm we went back to the pool hall to have dinner
with Doug Tucker. The special was wings
and 50 cent drafts. We ended up going
through 2 pitchers of bud light. Then we
came home to do some more drinking. My
mom wanted to do my nails so I let her.
Then Marty and Diane came over to look over the stuff we needed to bring
for the wedding. Kathryn also came over
and we all just had fun talking.
Friday September 16 2011
Last night I slept horribly.
Couldn’t get to sleep and woke up a lot.
Then my parents woke up at 6 am!
I tried to get back to sleep but couldn’t really and got up around
730. We went to breakfast at Country
Gardens and talked to our favorite waitress Lisa about the wedding. After breakfast we went out to Timber Creek
Bed and Breakfast to see the people who were already there. We saw Judy and Steve and Don’s mom Estelle
and her two friends Agnes and Connie. My
mom was kind of upset because the reception tent was not being set up yet. So we went back home to start packing up
stuff in the cars. I brought all my
stuff to Timber Creek and checked into our room. Then I helped my mom put bows on all the light
posts on the drive way. Then my parents
left to go get more stuff and Steve and I sat on the patio and hung out with
the 3 little kittens that live at the b&b.
Judy and Sam had went to Bloomington to pick up Michael and Teresa.
The tent was finally set up around noon or 1 and Marty,
Kathryn, my dad and mom started putting up decorations. Don arrived in a huge rental car with Lorina,
Khris, Miguel, and Ethan. We all get checked into their rooms. I was starving and needed to make some phone
calls so Lorina and I went to town and stopped by Hardee’s. Later around 3 Mary and I went to IGA to pick
up Don’s grooms cake and 3 gallons of orange juice for the reception. (I wonder how much of this OJ was actually
used during the reception for mixed drinks…) We got back to the b&b and got
ready for the rehearsal. Jamie, Kat, and
Kelsey arrived shortly. The rehearsal
was at 430. My mom seemed like a nervous
wreck. It was all starting to set
in. The weather was very chilly and
cloudy and I was so nervous it wasn’t going to be better by tomorrow.
At around 530 we drove to Gibson City for dinner at Bayern
Stube. When we got there all the trees
were tp’d around the restaurant. That
was kinda cool. I had some German beer
and a fantastic meal of schnitzel. I
then tried a little bit of other people’s deserts. We had a lot of laughs and fun. After the rehearsal dinner we thought it
would be a good idea to hang out somewhere for awhile since it was only like
830. We hung out at my parent’s
garage. A lot of people came. I picked up some budlight…there was a ton of
beer there. Everyone was just talking
and chilling. Even my mom was out there. She said she couldn’t do anymore decorating
til the morning. It was a nice time.
I drove back to the b&b with Mary and Kat. Then my sister showed up. We decided we wanted to use the Jacuzzi. So we got down to our bras and undies and got
in. It felt good. Somehow we all four managed to get in. at
once. Mary and Kat later went to Mary’s
room and my sister and I started to get to sleep. We stayed up talking for a long while though
so I didn’t sleep good again.
Saturday September 17 2011
Just start off by saying our wedding day was completely
perfect. I woke up around 8 with a bit
of a headache. I went downstairs with
Mary, Kat, and Kelsey for breakfast.
Connie had made delicious breakfast enchiladas. I tried to drink coffee. I’ve never made coffee for myself I just
order it…and even that is not often. So
I just drank it black, it was okay. Then
I took some aleve. Most everyone was
there eating with us even the guys.
My hair stylist, Heather, showed up at 9 am and we got work
on the hair right away. Kat first, then
Mary, Kelsey, and last me. Kat did most
everyone’s makeup, including mine. She
did a fantastic job. Then the
photographers showed up around 1130 so they could look around for the places to
take shots. Dad ordered a ton of
cheeseburgers and fries from Just Hamburgers.
I think most people liked it.
Around noon I started getting my hair done and then my
makeup to follow. Around 130ish mom
started helping me get into my dress.
And at 2 pm we started pictures with everyone. I wanted to do most pictures before the
ceremony. Pictures seemed to take
forever…and I can’t wait to see them. Hopefully they all turned out good. People were already starting to arrive when
we were finishing up pictures. We all
hung out in the tent where people couldn’t see us to wait to start walking for
the ceremony. I didn’t feel really
nervous but I just wanted it to be over already. A lot of our closer family and friends walked
into the tent and saw me before the ceremony.
Then we all lined up and started the ceremony. The bridesmaids and groomsmen walked down to
a piano version of Hands Down. I started to get a bit more nervous there
standing with my dad. He started talking
about the weather, which by the way was perfect. It was completely perfect, it had not been
nice the days before but today was around 70s and completely sunny. When I walked down the aisle I wasn’t nearly
as nervous as I thought I would be. I
walked down to the song Only Hope by Switchfoot. The ceremony seemed pretty
short. It went so good. Mr Jones did drop Don’s ring on the ground
but that was funny. Before we knew it we
were walking back down the aisle married.
Then we released each row to say hello to people. When we walked out everyone showered us with
bubbles. Then we did a few more pictures
with family members. The ceremony was
beautiful and perfect, everything I imagined and hoped for.
We did our grand entrance to a Beastie Boys song, I don’t
think it was the one we requested but it was fine. I think it was the one about a party…can’t
remember the name. Then we started
dinner and signed our marriage license.
While we were signing a vase broke but Steve took care of it. Our usher Steve was the absolute best,
anything we needed he was on it. I
received several compliments about the wedding music and the dinner music. That was nice because I picked it all out. Then we listened to the amazing toasts from
everyone on Don’s half. Kelsey was the
only who did a toast out of my girls, and she started bawling. The speeches were so good.
After the toasts we had our first dance. It was Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Steve later told us that right before our
first dance he was just standing there looking around and happened to see
Rusty, the DJ, looking a little panicked.
They happened to lock eyes and Steve could tell something was wrong so
he went over there. Rusty couldn’t find
our first dance song anywhere, and Steve asked what it was and Rusty told
him. Steve said “Hold on, be right back,
I got it.” Steve came back with a cd
that had Iris on it and our first dance was played from this cd. We had no idea. Steve is the best!
Next Don did his dance with his mom to Mama by Boyz II
Men. Everyone was impressed with their
dance moves. While all these dances were
going on Marty and Vicki had been working on the raffle to dance with the
bride. Uncle Donnie won…so I had a dance
with him and we got a few extra bucks without doing the dollar dance.
The reception was awesome, people were constantly
dancing. There were a few songs that
stuck in my mind. During the Kesha song
Blow, Khris had arranged to have confetti shot everywhere. It was so cool. He was proud of himself. During Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, it
became like a mini mosh pit. I fell down
twice and Khris tried to do some crazy flip off Don’s back. In the process Don got a busted lip and a huge
scratch on his arm. My dad got down on
the dance floor during Bad To The Bone.
He was pretty drunk at this point.
It was funny. The best song
though was “Soco Amaretto Lime” by Brand New.
Most of our friends know this song and they formed a circle around us
and everyone was signing it. I was
basically screaming it. It was such a
cool moment. It was amazing. Everyone was there in that moment.
Mary and I had to do a shot with my dad since that has
become kind of a tradition. I didn’t
really feel like doing a shot so we just had a beer and found someone to take
our picture. My dad saw our beers were
full and his was almost empty so he finished it. We thought he was going up to the bar to get
a new one but he just turned around to his table and picked up a new one. He had a small cluster of beers for himself
hahaha.
I was talking to the DJ at one point and Andy Bennett came
up and said “hey play some Eminem, I like 10 mile”. I thought this was hilarious. Sure enough some Eminem was played.
At some point in the night my dad was really drunk. He just had his head on the table and my mom
was also drunk leaning against him. My
dad started puking outside the tent. He
told someone “I’m gonna be ditch driving”, we all knew though he would not be
driving. During this time there was a
dinner roll fight. Rolls were
flying.
Doug Tucker, Diane, Vicki and Marty then decided they should
get my parent’s home. They put my dad in
the front of my parent’s suv with a trash bag tied to his shirt. Diane put my mom in the back and when she was
trying to put the seatbelt on her she said “that feels good”. My dad puked on the way home and by the time
they were home he had puke all over his shirt.
Marty helped my mom get her dress off and they got them put to bed. Crazy night…best wedding ever.
Sunday September 18 2011
Woke up and went to breakfast around 8. Then we packed our stuff and said bye to
Khris and Ethan. It was sad seeing
everyone go. I didn’t want the wedding
weekend to be over! My mom, Doug and her
friends were in the tent cleaning and packing things up. I went over to my parent’s house and saw my
dad, he was looking really rough. He had
been puking all night. I asked him if he
remembered telling Doug that they can watch the game together today and drink
beer. He said “yeah I remember that but
that’s not happening.” Then my mom, Doug, Marty, Doug E., Vicki, Diane, and
Jeff came over and we all ate some leftover food from the reception. It was so good! Doug asked if I could take him back to
Bloomington on the way home. I said sure
I could just take 55 up. The ride over
to Bloomington with Doug was good. We talked
a lot about the wedding. Then a lot more
about all the stuff going on with my family like my grandparent’s divorce and
the money. It was crazy, but good to
talk to someone about it.
After I dropped Doug off I took 55 up to Chicago and it was
the worst traffic! It felt like it took
6 hours to get home. I was so tired; I
had to keep opening the windows even though it was rainy and crappy. When I got home Don was almost back and he
was going to drop off the rental car.
Then we made sure we were all packed for our honeymoon! And we opened the few gifts that we had. Most of the gifts we left at my parent’s house.
No comments:
Post a Comment